Forum instability

(Dave Cheney) #1

Hello,

I visit this forum several times a day and often (10% of my visits encounter a problem) find it returning 502.

Rather than continuing to post passive aggressive screenshots on twitter I set up a pingdom account to poll the forum to see if this issue was general, or just PEBKAC.

Here are the results of running this check for a few days.

I think there may be an issue with the stability of the forum.

(Brandon Martinez) #2

I have also noticed down times and instability in the last week or so. It was also occurring on a few other sites I visit so I was assuming it was just my issue. But I guess it’s good to know that I’m not alone on this one.

Most of the time I just receive errors trying to open threads, but I have experienced full outages giving me a 502 error.

On another note, how well do you like pingdom as a monitoring service? I’ve heard of it but have never used it.

(Benjamin Radovsky) #3

Hmm, I’ve noticed this as well.

In the past I’ve notified @Luna when this has happened over the Gopher’s Slack channel, but haven’t been on there or here much lately so have just forgotten, but it seems like it’s been a consistent issue for a while now…

(Tamás Gulácsi) #4

It happens for me very frequently when I’m in a topic, and click (tap) on the upper left “Go Forum” trxt to return to the topic list.

And I have to wait 3 seconds before retry, otherwise the error continues.

(Christoph Berger) #5

For the records, I visit the forum (almost) daily and I have not seen any 502 or any other sort of inaccessibility lately. I am located in Germany. Is this issue perhaps bound to particular times (for example, U.S. or Australian business hours)?

(Dave Cheney) #6

Pingdon probes from many locations and the data does not support this conclusion.

(Dave Cheney) #7

But that’s a good point, I’ve only had the monitoring set up for a few days, maybe a pattern will emerge with more days data.

(Ericmdantas) #8

Just got a 502.

(Kenny Grant) #9

I’ve seen the same 502 a few times from Europe.

(Tamás Gulácsi) #10

I’m in Hungary, UTC+1.

And get 502 when replying :slight_smile:

(Jakob Borg) #11

This is a fairly common complaint on Discourse. Most medium or large installations seems to run into it. Given that I guess this is a paid installation, it would be reasonable to take it up with the provider.

(I run an instance myself, hang on others, and lurk sometimes on meta.discourse.org although that can be a frustrating experience.)

(Dave Cheney) #12

Paging @matt @goinggodotnet @freeformz for comment.

(Peter) #13

I got several times a 502 last december.

Today another one

(Kristoffer Berdal) #14

Hi there gang! We (as in the admins) are on it, and will figure out what is going on. Stay tuned for updates :slight_smile:

(Kristoffer Berdal) #15

Okay, so we might have found the cause! :smiley: The forum will be a bit unstable as I attempt to make it do what I want.

(Dave Cheney) #16

IMO this is fixed
Not a blip since @flexd found a mis configuration in the rate limiter.

I’m happy to call this case closed.

(Kristoffer Berdal) #17

Excellent! The problem was that flood protection was kicking in because something was not configured correctly :slight_smile:

(Kristoffer Berdal) #18

Seems like we have not fixed this, or there is another problem… investigating :slight_smile:

(Rafael Silva) #19

Hey guys,

We can host this forum for free at Discourse :wink:.

(Jakob Borg) #20

Don’t bet on that being an improvement.