Cannot install Go on my RasPi3

Hello all,

I am totally new in Linux and Go but I need to start somewhere, right? I am trying to install Go on my RasPi3 (armhf) with a running Debian 8 (Jessie).

This is what I have done so far:

• downloaded file from here and selected go1.7.src.tar.gz
  • unpacked and moved it with tar -C /usr/local -xzf go1.7.src.tar.gz to /usr/local
  • added export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/go/bin to /etc/profile

Then I checked this page to get Go installed from source.

• fetched the repo with git clone https://go.googlesource.com/go in /home
  • moved to /home/go by cd go
  • git checkout go1.7
  • moved to /home/go/src by cd src
  • tried to run ./all.bash but this returns in an error:

Set $GOROOT_BOOTSTRAP to a working Go tree >= Go 1.4.

What did I miss? Where do I need to add this variable and what needs to be the value for it?

I found a repo of Go for Debian 8 but this is version 1.3.3 only but I need Go1.4 at least. I was told that this is the fact why I do need to install Go from source.

Your assistance is highly appreciated.

Kind regards
//neph

take a look here.

Hello George

great, that worked perfectly fine. Thank you so much.

But I would like to understand the manual from Go. Can you tell me why
my setup did not work and how I could fix this?

Kind regards
//neph

There is no need to build from source, use the tarball for linux/arm from golang.org https://storage.googleapis.com/golang/go1.7.linux-armv6l.tar.gz

Hi Dave

sorry to ask. I know it is embarrassing, but what do I need to do with this? Where to download to (directory)? Can I use it in /usr/local? Do I need to compile something?

Could you guide me step by step from a naked Debian 8 Jessie to Debian 8 Jessie installed with Go, please? I try hardly to understand the whole procedure.

Thank you so much in advance.

Kind regards
//neph

Hello

I guess I got it. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much.

Kind regards
//neph

These are the offical release binaries, just follow the documentation on the website. Download and install - The Go Programming Language

Download the archive and extract it into /usr/local, creating a Go tree in /usr/local/go. For example:

tar -C /usr/local -xzf go$VERSION.$OS-$ARCH.tar.gz
Choose the archive file appropriate for your installation. For instance, if you are installing Go version 1.2.1 for 64-bit x86 on Linux, the archive you want is called go1.2.1.linux-amd64.tar.gz.

(Typically these commands must be run as root or through sudo.)

Add /usr/local/go/bin to the PATH environment variable. You can do this by adding this line to your /etc/profile (for a system-wide installation) or $HOME/.profile:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/go/bin

just a small offtopic noteā€¦ if anyone can give me an ssh access on a Raspberry pi for a while i can add armv6 in this installer so the newbies will install go more easy on those devices.

[last edit] someone went to help me and gave to me access to an Raspberry Pi with Raspbian, so i updated the Gopei project and now you can easy install golang from your Raspberry box. see here howto.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.