Which tools should be included in an Docker Image for starting Golang development?

Hi I’m using Vagrant with Docker doing Cross Development
on Mac OS X and Ubuntu in Swift and I want to build for each environment
like Go, Python, Ruby, JS/Node.js own Docker Images.

So I need some tips and an advice wich tools should be included in then Go-Dev Docker Image.

Thanks for help and advices.

1 Like

Any recommendation?

What’s the gain by doing the Docker/Vagrant dance here? I develop a lot of Go stuff, directly on Mac, with tools installed locally. Cross builds and so on can be created either locally or (better) by some sort of build/CI server.

2 Likes

Before Go 1.5 it was a great help to set up cross compilation, but now that has gotten so easy that it doesn’t make much of a difference.

Either way, the official Go images makes it possible to build cleanly on a machine without installing Go, so in terms of a “unobtrusive” build server that makes it easy to manage.

For development I don’t know any good reason to use a Docker image.

2 Likes

There is really no reason to use docker for golang development. :smile:

2 Likes

I need a solution;
1 person konws objc and want ti code swift on linux
2.person wants to code go on linux on a windoes machine
3.wants to code swift on an linux un a windows host
and so on,…

Well, if so, to answer just your question I’d probably start with just the go compiler. The interesting tools that may be required are the written in go and only a “go get” away for the developer.

That said this sounds like a painful development environment to me. Why develop in a Linux VM if you’re on Windows? How do you handle editor integration and so on?

I’d develop on Windows if I were running Windows, and then test on Linux if that’s a deployment target. That testing I’d do on a VM running somewhere else, preferably automatically on each push.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.