What editor plugins are you using for Go?

Bloated.

Btw Iā€™m using neovim with vim-go.Vim-go is a beast of a plugin.

Mostly for speed reasons. The Atom go-plus library is great, but due to how it and Atom are implemented, every time I save my project (which is huge) is has to scan the entire thing for error (including import errors, typos, non used variables, etc.). While this is super fast on Vim, Sublime Text, even Visual Studio Code (which I donā€™t use exclusively because its Vim mode is not complete), it is very slow on Atom. Every save takes a long time to show errors and/or completion suggestions.

I love Atom, but its speed is driving me away for the time being.

P.S.: Iā€™m running these editors in a top-of-the-line MacBook Pro 17"

Fatih and contributors are doing such a great job in vim-go.

3 Likes

Understood. Thanks for sharing.

Using Goclipse , but Iā€™m very biased to it ā€¦ :sweat_smile:

Cloud9Ide

Not yet mentioned but also a good choice is VS Code with the Go extension and rewrap to paragraph wrap comments. There are many other extensions available but those are all Iā€™ve needed so far.

Running goimports on save etc. isnā€™t enabled by default but can be configured:

"go.formatTool": "goimports",
	"go.formatOnSave": true,
2 Likes

VSCode is genuinely impressive, and Iā€™d probably be using it if I hadnā€™t learnt vim.

And speaking of vimā€”Iā€™ve updated my dotfiles/vimrc to align with the new features in vim-go, including:

• gd to open the current identifier in godoc (never having to open a browser window)
  • gd to jump to the current identifierā€™s declaration (hugely useful).
  • vim-airline for the tabline (status bar along the top w/ open buffers)
  • Fira Mono (a recent change) & the gruvbox colorscheme

1 Like

Iā€™m using Atom, it is slow and Iā€™m considering Vim, seems like a lot of people are using that. Used sublime before. All of them have different pros and cons. Havenā€™t really taken the time to dig into how to use them and what addons/plugins to use

Iā€™m using LiteIde.

For me, for all programming, itā€™s got to be vim in the terminal alongside tmux. As for go editor plugins, vim-go is really productive and has some really great features! :smiley:

The best online IDEā€¦ Cloud9IDE : https://c9.io

Just wanted to cast my vote. Iā€™m using VSC as well. Itā€™s the best Iā€™ve found so far. Iā€™ve used WebStorm and was tired of the indexing slowing me down all the time, as well as no delve support (though Iā€™ve since learned that the command line delve isnā€™t hard at all). Iā€™ve also used Atom and it works alright, I just found parts of it a bit cooky.

VSC is slow every now and then, and Iā€™m not sure why. A quick save, exit, open to files, and it works fine. Iā€™ve only had to do it twice in the last few months. Only complaint is maybe better Git integration - view all past commits would be nice. Thereā€™s an ā€œOpen to Gitā€ addon though.

And if you did want to do debuggingā€¦ it does work well with delve:

I have spent a lot of time trying to find a good text editor. Turned up that it is quite difficult to find exactly what I need for an acceptable price. After few hours of exhausted searching, I have found one interesting site that lists some interesting text editors and a brief description: besttexteditor.com

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.