I managed to fix the site with a bit of googling and trial and error. I haven’t updated the site for over 3 years so I was a bit rusty on the golang and using google cloud services.
Migrating the URL request code from urlfetch to net/http was the easy part but I also had to sign up for billing in google cloud which is ok as I get a free credit every month and the site doesn’t use much. Once I did that the site worked.
The most confusing part was that I was trying to get the import appengine command to work as per the instructions I found online but I could not deploy the site and I found that I no longer need to import appegine so just get rid of it…
I just had to change this.
//// OLD CODE
//// Get URL request
//ctx := appengine.NewContext(r)
//client := urlfetch.Client(ctx)
//resp, err := client.Get(req.URL.String())
//// golang 1.13
resp, err := http.Get(req.URL.String())
Also a few changes to the app.yaml file et el, instructions that can be found online.