Topics to become senior Golang developer?

Hi all,
Is there a roadmap, a list, of topics that I need to learn in order to consider myself a senior Golang developer ?

Did anyone compile such a list, what books/tutorials do I need to learn ? What sort of apps should I create in order to develop my skill ? I know Java and Python have many such lists with goalposts, is there any for Golang as well ?

1 Like

I don’t think such a list makes much sense. Becoming a senior develeoper is not done by ticking of items on a list. You will have to do actual work on real projects and have real experience with projects that succeed and those thait fail.

3 Likes

Check this video

Hi @lutzhorn,

It cannot hurt. Such a list would help people know what they are missing, what is out there.

Also, it makes not sense for everyone to rediscover the wheel on his own, why not learn from the experience of those who already are senior developers ?

Unfortunately, becoming a real SENIOR in something it’s a huge path, and @lutzhorn said, you’ll have to do a lot of work in real projects, solving real problems and studying a lot. CC basic’s, patterns, architecture, and SO ON.

If any roadmap would exists, you can consider that becoming a senior developer is just the yellow belt in your career… so its a natural step after a while and some work but not the biggest step :wink:

People, in this job we either learn constantly, to update our skills… or we watch how we slowly become obsolete.

Do not want to seem negative, but I am asking about such a roadmap not for fun neither out of boredom, but to start filling my own gaps in knowledge.

It suprises me that instead of getting some links or ideas with Go topics that are worth knowing, we are having this philosophical discussion.

Blockquote
Unfortunately, becoming a real SENIOR in something it’s a huge path, and @lutzhorn said, you’ll have to do a lot of work in real projects, solving real problems and studying a lot. CC basic’s, patterns, architecture, and SO ON.

I disagree with your attitude. Indeed you need to know and experiment lots of topics, but:

• you do not have a road map/ a list with those topics - and this prevents you to estimate how much time you need
  • you are gloryfing the subject - and this will likely slow your own progress

It is much easier to become a senior software engineer than to become a software architect. It is much easier to become a software architect than to become the CEO of your company. It is much easier to become the CEO than to become the president of your country, break a record in the olympics or take the Nobel prize. There is nothing glamorous about a senior software engineer, most junior developers will end up seniors some day. Absolutely all senior developers today will become unemployed if they do not update their skills.

Stop selling yourseves short, stop allowing yourselves to be lazy, and stop artificially glamorizing it. This illusion can only hurt you. If you had a list with all the topics and skills you need to be a senior Golang developer - I expect that the average developer needs about 3-7 years to become one.

I guess the seniority has nothing to do with the Go language, you can be senior software developer even you have a basic understanding of Go language. So, I don’t know if its a written roadmap or a list (I didn’ saw any) of steps about how to become senior developer because this is a matter of experience and not necessary about a technology or other. Perhaps if you work a few years in the industry (let, 's say five or more) you can simply apply for a senior developer position, however your knowledges matter more.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.