Postmates is focused on providing a thriving marketplace allowing anyone to purchase anything from anywhere in their city or community and have it delivered in minutes. We’re deployed across Google Cloud and Amazon Web Services, and transfer over 25TB of data a day.
At Postmates, site reliability engineers (SREs) embed with integrated teams including developers and product managers. As an SRE, you’re responsible for keeping your applications up and running. You’ll work with product managers to set a sustainable pace of new feature development, and with developers to design and implement a reliable architecture. SREs are capable software developers, but often have expertise that skews towards lower-level systems details.
As an SRE, you’ll need to earn the respect of your teammates by providing sensible guidance, and offering rational, data-based insight that helps everyone keep the site up. You will participate with developers in a 24x7 on-call rotation. You will assist your team with system administration tasks, but also work to automate the tedium when appropriate. You’ll work directly on application code, mentoring and learning from other developers on the team.
Technologies we use
- Server: Python, Go, Erlang
- Cloud: AWS, GCP
- Databases: BigTable, Postgres, DynamoDB
- Infrastructure: Kubernetes, etcd, Consul, Terraform
- 4+ years of experience developing and managing horizontally scalable and fault-tolerant systems in production
- A reasonably agreeable personality
- A deep understanding of SQL databases
- Strong knowledge of UNIX/Linux, and experience working with open source software (RabbitMQ, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Knowledge of modern web architecture (HTTP, REST, gRPC)
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- We’ll provide equipment you need to work efficiently and creatively
- Paid parental leave, vacation time and sick time
- 3 paid volunteer days to give back to the community
- Catered lunches and open snack bar
- Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
- Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)
- Full support to contribute to open source projects
- Awesome office located in SOMA just minutes from BART, Muni, AC Transit, and SamTrans