Proposal: Deprecate the Go Project wiki page

Gophers,

Having spent quite a bit of time maintaining the list of packages listed on our Project wiki:

…I’m starting to think that this is better left to outside resources, like Awesome-Go. I’m not willing to make the time needed to really vet each project that is listed (is it good? has it been abandoned?). I think that the curation processes of some of these other sites are better suited to handle this.

So the proposal is to remove all of the individual projects listed on that wiki page. Leave only the top-most section, which points users to external catalogs.

Good idea? Bad idea? Thoughts?
-jason

9 Likes

:thumbsup: wiki pages age like fruit; they have a limited shelf life.

1 Like

That is an impressive wiki page, but I agree in that it’s probably better up to search and other curated resources in order to scale better.

What I’d really like to see is a small panel of experienced Go programmers curate a highly selective list of Go resources. Like aiming for quality, not quantity.

Search engines are better for quantity.

2 Likes

Bad idea. This wiki is the primary site. That “awesome” site you link to is missing some important packages that are listed on the wiki.

You should discuss this on golang-nuts, because there are the most active users.

1 Like

SGTM. Wiki pages like this is also going to be hard to maintain. The pace at how Go is being developed is amazing. I never look into Wiki, because we have better discovery mechanisms (godoc.org, github trending, twitter, /r/golang top, etc…). For example if you search color in godoc.org, it’ll show the most popular package (it’s sorted by the number of imports). I think we should encourage and improve godoc.org instead of maintaining hand curated list.

2 Likes

@matt - I think that Awesome-Go could be the “curated by trusted community experts”. It isn’t as quick/easy to modify as a wiki, and a small hurdle like that is probably enough to keep out most cruft.

@pebbe - Once the Go CoC is out and being enforced on golang-nuts@ I’ll cross post.

@fatih - I too would like to see godoc.org improved along these lines. There are several proposals for improvements to godoc.org that I think will greatly improve the utility.

And almost forgot, I do run a link checker on the entire wiki each week, and anything returning a 404 gets pruned.

@jbuberel I’m actually a little bit confused what https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/Projects is for now, since it lists awesome-go under ‘Indexes and search engines’.

That being said, I’m a proponent of having human-curated lists. I’d like to see this wiki stay alive alongside awesome-go and others.

That being said, I think awesome-go’s PR based contribution mechanism is what most people in the community are comfortable with, and will free you from having to do the vetting yourself and help this thing grow scalably.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.