Noob Question : complex hello world example

Hello ,
Sorry for such a simple question :

I am looking for a complex hello world example to illustrate a general module architecture and illustrate the maximum of situations :

• 4 packages , including packages at the same level and sub-packages
  • 3 executables applications
    appli_1.exe
    appli_2.exe
    appli_3.exe

The purpose of my question is to clearly understand the state of the art of import declaration in all the standard cases :
Q1) SUB_BRANCH ACCESS : import for accessing from Hello_from_a a function in sub_package_a_aa or sub_package_a_bb

Q2) EXTRA BRANCH ACCESS : import from sub_package_a_bb and call a function in sub_package_b (in another branch)

Q3) organization for many executables
I tried ./cmd/appli_1/ appli_1.go
./cmd/appli_2/ appli_2.go
./cmd/appli_3/ appli_3.go

but I have difficulties to call ./package_a/sub_package_a_aa functions
from ./cmd/appli_2/ appli_2.go main executable

Structure ?:
./ cmd / appli_1 / appli1.go
./ cmd / appli_2 / appli2.go
./ cmd / appli_3 / appli3.go

. / package_a
file : package_a.go with for example a function Hello_from_a()

. / package_a / sub_package_a_aa (example for sub_branch)
file : package_a_aa.go with for example a function Hello_from_a_aa()

. / package_a / sub_package_a_bb (example2 for sub_branch)
file : package_a_bb.go with for example a function Hello_from_a_bb()

. / package_b / (example for multiple branches)
file : package_b with for example a function Hello_from_b()

Hi, Go has NOT official project structure but recently the official doc got this section

In your case (mutiple executable and several packages, in short:

• for the executables you can use the pattern cmd/<exe-name>/main.go
  • for packages:
    • for “internal only packages” you should use internal/<package-name>/*.go
    • for packages meant to be imported from external packages/apps you can use ./<package-name>/*.go

Keep in mind the the import scope starts from the module root directory so if you have symbols defined in internal/mypackage/*.go you can use then just importing

import "<module-name>/internal/mypackage"
1 Like

Start from the folder structure, here is how I would organize: Assuming 4 packages belong to the same project or module named project1, place each package in its own folder, and under the parent folder project1/
In each of the package folders, if the code need to access other folder’s data, import it by providing the path starting with project1, such as project1/package1. Then you can reference the function using dot notation as package1.dosomthing()
Hope this helps!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.