Large memory usage slows down unrelated code

Hi there

I am maintaing the code for a Go project that reads and writes a lot of data and that has done so successfully for some time. Recently, I made a change: a CSV file with about 2 million records is loaded in a map with struct values at the beginning of the program. This map is only used in part B, but first part A is executed. And this first part already runs noticeably slower than before (processing time is quadrupled). That is very strange since that part of the logic did not change.
I have spent a week trying to explain how this can happen. Here are the steps I have taken (when I mention performance, I always refer to part A, which does not include the time to load the data in memory and actually has nothing to do with it):

• The program was running on a server inside a Docker container. But I have been able to reproduce it on my laptop without container: the performance indeed decreases compared to when I run it without the data from the file loaded in memory.
  • The server had a huge amount of RAM. Although obviously more memory is used when the file is loaded, no limits are hit. I also did not see spikes or other strange patterns in memory usage and disk I/O. For these checks, I have used pprof, htop and iotop.
  • When the data is loaded but then the map set to nil, performance is OK again.
  • Loading the data in a slice instead of a map reduces the performance decrease from x4 to x2 (but the memory usage is more or less the same as with the map).
  • This made me wonder whether the map/slice is accessed somewhere in part A, even though it shouldn’t. The map is stored as field of a struct type. I checked and this struct is always passed by pointer (including all goroutines). Making it a global variable instead of a pointer field did not solve the issue.
  • There is one dependency outside of the standard library. Is the problem caused by the library? It forces some garbage collects. Disabling this does not make a difference. I found another similar library that is unrelated and using this one as a replacement improves performance, but it still takes longer when the data of the file is loaded.

Here I have plotted the metrics (time spent per batch of operations in part A) with and without the data in memory:
times_freeosmem

This issue is really puzzling me. Can your code run significantly slower just because more memory is occupied, even when there is a lot of memory available? If not, what can I do to find the cause of the issue?

Eventually I also posted this question on StackOverflow, where it was answered: the garbage collector kicks in often due to the high memory load (even though it has nothing to do) and accesses the data.
(I cannot delete this topic.)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.