Json or Protocol buffer?

I am working on matching engine and i want my service to receive order as message and then find the corresponding matched order then i want to send this order and matched orders’ array to other microservices which one should i use Json or protocol buffer ?

If you have to ask us, then I think you should start with JSON. It’s much easier to get started with.
This is really a design question, and based on what you have told us there is no reason you should pick Protocol Buffers over JSON.

1 Like

i was reading protocol buffer is 6 time faster than json and in my case latency is an important concern

Then you should consider using Protocol Buffers in this case? We can’t make a decision for you.

If your application ends up fast enough using JSON, then use that. Try it out!

1 Like

Measure first. Protobuf is always more compact, but is not automatically faster than JSON.

I had a program that processed large amounts of data, streaming it between files, and needed fast encoding and decoding. For that particular program, protobuf and encoding/json had the same performance, so JSON ended up as the better choice.

2 Likes

thanks man

right i understand now
thanks man

You might consider JSON sequences rather than a regular JSON object. That way, the receiver can decode on a streaming basis rather than having to wait for the entire reply, which will help reduce latency.

2 Likes

thanks man

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.