Installing Go on Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8?

Is it possible?

Not the richest person in the world so my computers a bit old. :sweat_smile:

Thanks for any help.

1 Like

No, Go does not support 10.6.8. Try installing a Linux distro or a BSD on it.

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for reply and suggestion. I’ll try that.

1 Like

Even if this is not the best advice you could try an older version of Go. The support for Snow Leopard was dropped probably from 1.5 so I guess Go 1.4 version should work (see here). You will not have the last features but Go is mostly backward compatible. At least you will not be forced to drop your old computer because I am not convinced of that it will be able to run modern Linux distributions.

1 Like

If you are just using it for learning purposes, an old version of Go is probably fine. See this thread for more info. Specifically this from RSC:

Rob and I discussed this, and we propose that for Go 1.5, we will say something along the lines of “The port to OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) is no longer actively maintained.” That is, we won’t go out of our way to delete it or break it, but we’re also not going to make any attempt to keep it working or to fix issues specific to that version of OS X.

So you might be able to get away with installing something later than 1.4 but it won’t be officially supported. Also, if you’re just using it for learning purposes, you can do a lot with the go playground. So maybe a hybrid approach where you install old version on local machine, and if you want to experiment with newer features use the playground.

OK - and if you want to think REALLY outside the box, sign up for a free account at Github, create a repo for your code, and then set up continuous integration with a service that offers free options like AppVeyor. Then, to get your build working on a version of go that isn’t supported on your OS, commit to your repo and let AppVeyor do the rest.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.