How to import a local module *without* re-downloading the imported module's dependencies?

I have a module sample_project, which has a go.mod like this:

module sample_project

go 1.21.6

replace local.mod/module_to_import => ../module_to_import

require (
	github.com/ethereum/go-ethereum v1.13.11
)

But module_to_import has a replacement for github.com/ethereum/go-ethereum because it uses the arbitrum version of ethereum-go, which has some arbitrum-related stuff (types, functions, etc).
Here’s its go.mod:

module module_to_import

go 1.21.6

replace github.com/ethereum/go-ethereum => ./go-ethereum

require (
)

Now, this is sample_project’s main.go:

import (
	imported_utils "local.mod/module_to_import/utils"
)

The problem is that when doing go run main.go, it will attempt to download all the packages required by module_to_import and I get an error like this:

module github.com/ethereum/go-ethereum@latest found (v1.13.11), but does not contain package github.com/ethereum/go-ethereum/arbitrum_types

I want to use the local package which resides in ../module_to_import/go-ethereum. How can I do it?

I think (but am not certain) that adding your own go-ethereum replacement will do the trick. Have tyou tried that?

• For managing large projects with shared modules, consider package management tools like pip 's --editable flag or replace directive in requirements.txt to install local modules in editable mode, referencing their source directories directly.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.