How high level is Go

Hi people, I’m new to Go and I am curious about how high level is Go compared to another languages. I have a list of what languages to compare and I wanna know where you would classify Go among them.
The languages I’d like to compare are: C, C++, Objective-C, D, Go, Swift, Pascal, Fortran, BASIC, Cobol, C#, Forth and Java.

When I talk about low and high level language I’m referring to how much control the language gives to the hardware and what has more abstraction levels.

Anything you can not do with Go directly, you can interface with C code/libraries with ease via cgo. So, personally in my opinion I’d be putting Go up there alongside C.

GPretty much all languages allow interoperability with C. That does not make them equivalent to C.

C forces you to deal with things like memory management and heap vs stack, and allows insecure access to memory by default. Go abstracts all of that away, and provides further abstractions for concurrency and so on. So while you can dig down and access low level details if you want to, I would certainly not place Go besides C.

Besides that I think the question is hard to answer as it’s very subjective. How do you order all the languages that are not Go - is C# “higher level” than Java? Or Basic?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.