How Gloabal variables work in golang

I have created a global variable in a package and stored value in that.

Now I have created another application and stored the vale and before printing the value I have called the sleep function for 10 sec and then printed it.

In the meanwhile, I have called the same application again in the other terminal removing the sleep and changing the value stored in the global.

But then I found that both print the values what I have send (differently) But as of my knowledge, global values should be affected when they are changed.

I don’t know whether my understanding is wrong or go works like that. Can anyone help me.

Thanks.

It is bad idea to use global variables anyways, why do you need them? Being global doesn’t mean you can access it from another application, they do not share memory. I hope I understood you correctly.

Are some specific cases where the globals are useful. I guess some common cases are database operations or when you work with templates. Also, i saw some uses of global protected maps, instead channels, in concurency. I don’t figured out if is a good practice or not, though…

1 Like

As geosoft1 said I need to store the statement handle created by a driver in the global variable and use it in the other function.

Since both applications are running on different processors the global variables are different I get it. Suppose if any one wants to access the value stored by the other application, can he access it?

You can also pass this variable to places where you need it, it is not necessary to make it global.

Global variables doesn’t mean global on entire machine. They are global in their process-address space.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.