How do I delete old post in Releases category?

The editor is amazing and I love the emoji selection box with search field!

I like that updating an existing post doesn’t move the post to the top, so we can make corrections without annoying others.

I have a release announcement post with 10 edits that I’d like to update. Maybe I hit a limit but I can’t seem to edit it anymore.

There’s been 6 releases to my project since I updated the post, but Releases category isn’t busy so I’d rather update the old post than take up 2 slots in that category for the same project.

As far as I remember, editing isn’t possible anymore after a couple of months have passed. Some fori even have a limit of a couple of minutes for editing posts.

Why not just reply with a status update?

Why not just reply with a status update?

• editing a post doesn’t move the post to the top, while replying with a status update does.
  • replying to the old post might restart the 3-month delay before it gets removed automatically.
  • old post has outdated info & comparisons so users might stop reading before reaching status update.

It would be nice to be able to delete posts that cannot be edited.

Editing a post does move it to the top.

They are not removed after 3 months, they do get “locked”, disabling the “reply” button and all editting capabilities.

Personally I tend to look at the most recent post for the hottest and newest stuff, not at the oldest one.

Deleting hurts the find engines.

NobbZ, thanks for taking time to help. I hope my reply is useful in making the site better. I updated title.

Editing a post does move it to the top.

Yikes! :astonished:

I don’t think it’s fair for other posts to lose their position because a small typo was fixed by an edit. It could also lead to intentional abuse.

They are not removed after 3 months, they do get “locked”, disabling the “reply” button and all editting capabilities.

This makes the ability to delete our own post more important, imho.

Obsolete posts (esp. in Releases category) can make search results less useful by making more recent info harder to find (to make a good first impression.) Posts that shouldn’t be deleted can be preserved by archive.org but those types of posts are unlikely to be deleted here by the author.

Personally I tend to look at the most recent post for the hottest and newest stuff, not at the oldest one.

Me too! Also, scrolling down into comments for updates depends on what’s above the fold and whether the lede was buried.

Bury the lede” (in my country) means “fail to emphasize the most important part of a story or account.” If a hybrid car gets 15% more fuel efficient than similar cars after a software update, visitors expect that type of advantage to be mentioned without scrolling down to comments. Those visitors will likely just go back to the competing car’s post since it showed 10% fuel efficiency “advantage” and dig into other car’s comments.

Grüße, Faye

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.