Go Productivity Extension for VS Code

I want to share with you the #vscode extension which we have been working on. It’s called Tooltitude. It augments the official vscode extension for Go with a large number of productivity features.

Here’s some highlight.

1. References code lens (on the screenshot. it’s very fast, works even on huge projects, like kubernetes)
  2. Inspections: shadowed variables and deprecated symbols display (the standard go extension doesn’t display deprecated symbols at the moment)
  3. Code actions (26 so far, including error handling code generator)

You can install it from here: Tooltitude - Visual Studio Marketplace Note: It’s not open source. Different components are written in different languages, including Go, Rust, Typescript, and Shell. We plan to have a free to use version with premium features. If you have any feature requests, or questions feel free to DM me. We also a discord channel for more in depth discussion: Tooltitude

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I did not try it yet, but the description sounds promising.

I understand the decision to not open-source the extension. But I am curious: Do closed-source plugins gain similar distribution and acceptance as comparable open-source counterparts? Are there any stats on this?

Thanks!

But I am curious: Do closed-source plugins gain similar distribution and acceptance as comparable open-source counterparts? Are there any stats on this?

I could give you some anecdotal evidence that it’s possible. I.e. top extensions which are not open source but very popular any way.

• Pylance (free but not OSS)
  • C/C++ (free but contains part which are not OSS)
  • Intellicode
  • Gitlens (shared source with paid version)
  • Liveshare
  • Php Intelephense (Freemium)
  • Github copilot
  • Remote Development family of extensions

Most of them are from MS, but they are not open source, and very popular. So it’s possible, but not easy.

Thanks for helping me to see clearer. Indeed, being open source is perhaps not that much of a “selling” point as I thought it would be.

A big update in the extension. We now have a large number of code navigation lenses which allow you to understand code base, and navigate through it faster.

And of course, they are blazingly fast and don’t consume a lot of resources!

As usual, you could install it from here: Tooltitude (Productivity Extension for GoLang) - Visual Studio Marketplace

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.