Function Composition / Functional Programming in Go best resources?

Hi,

I would like to know what in your opinion are the best resources for Function Composition in Go or an overview of what Go shares with Functional Programming Languages?

1 Like

I found this talk from Francesc Campoy (of “Just for func” fame) that gives a very good overview of some functional programming paradigms and how to use them in Go (plus insights on the pros and cons).

But remember that although functions are values in Go, Go stll is an imperative language. Functional programming is perhaps best used with pure FP languages. (Just my opinion. I don’t want to go into the “pragmatic programmer versus language purist” discussion here. It is absolutely ok to explore FP features in Go.)

And there is also Dave Cheney’s post about functional options that, as far as I can tell, have gained wide acceptance among Go developers.

2 Likes

Thanks @christophberger for the link to the the talk by Francesc Campoy and the link to @dfc post
I know that Go is an imperative language I just want to take a look at som some Functional parts it supports to play with it. I’m just curious trying out some functional stuff with go vs nodejs thats all.

1 Like

Haha, sorry, I did not want to imply that you don’t know that. Just meant to say that FP and Go perhaps don’t go very well together.

2 Likes

I’m just wondering if I write the same app in node vs go using functional programming parts Go supports who well node will stamd against it… to be honest I write a chatbot with Go and another guy with nodejs and then we will compare them…

1 Like

Sounds like a cool project!

BTW, I found this blog post among my open tabs. (I remembered this post but i did not find it last time.) The title does not reveal it but the article IS about Go.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link to the blog post I don’t know if its going to be cool… everyone envolved in the project wants to use nodejs on an production system… and I said I try the same or even better bot with Go… so far so good the basic bot seems to work I’m now waiting for api keys from an service to feed him with JSON data and making an real lide test with him

1 Like

Well then… the Go community counts on you! Fingers crossed! :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.