Errata for golang faq

Is this the right place to file errors in the golang faq page?

In Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - The Go Programming Language

The current text reads:

First, and most important, does the method need to modify the receiver? If it does, the receiver must be a pointer. (Slices and maps act as references, so their story is a little more subtle, but for instance to change the length of a slice in a method the receiver must still be a pointer.) In the examples above, if pointerMethod modifies the fields of s, the caller will see those changes, but valueMethod is called with a copy of the caller’s argument (that’s the definition of passing a value), so changes it makes will be invisible to the caller.

There is a significant typo here which might confuse newbies like me.

The last sentence should read:

In the examples above, if pointerMethod modifies the fields of s, the caller will see those changes, but IF valueMethod is called with a copy of the caller’s argument (that’s the definition of passing a value), NO changes it makes will be invisible to the caller.

On first reading, I agreed with your conclusion, but the second time I read the sentence I noticed that the two parts of the sentence actually refer to two different variables: pointerMethod and valueMethod, so the sentence seems correct as it is.

And BTW I have no official information where to raise issues for the Go docs at golang.org, but the issue tracker contains documentation-related issues, so this might be the place for addressing issues with the FAQ.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.