CLI or package?

Hi folks,

I have been thinking about releasing the project that I am working on (my final PhD project) but I have some doubts/questions. I would appreciate it if any of you throw some ideas at me (links, keywords, etc.).

The project is a concurrency testing framework. It takes a go source as input, automatically instruments and collects a set of traces, and does some analysis on the collected (stored) data. Its ultimate focus is on exploring interleaving space and covering some concurrency coverage criteria.

For doing that, I inject some additional code to the runtime (by a pre-written patch), connect to a SQL database and query the database for analysis. So it is not a straightforward API to be usable through a package. However, I have been thinking about building the project somehow through to the built-in “testing” package of Go. This way users can enhance their unit testing with some concurrency testing too; but I am not sure how feasible is that.

With that being said, what do you think is a better option. Which on is a better fit for such a tool, a CLI or a package? What are the factors in making such a decision? Any input is much appreciated. I would be more than happy to clear things out if you have questions.

Cheers

Just a couple of thoughts that might help you think thru this…

1. Having an SQL database is a huge dependency problem. I’d rethink how to manage the data without one
  2. Today Go testing has Test* and Benchmark*; I suppose you could add a third (Analyze* ?). But patching the Go source seems way too much to be able to use this.

I’d suggest making a package and then provide a CLI using the package. This would give a users a concrete example of how to use it.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks for the ideas. I much liked the idea of having both CLI and package (CLI uses the package).

It is going to be a research tool and not production. Although I agree with your statement of SQL being a huge dependency, I think researchers would not mind giving the tool a try or build on top of it. The data and their relation (and consequently the queries) can get overwhelmingly huge and complex.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.