What IDE you guys use?

Hi Christoph, what’s the error message that you can when trying to debug? I hope I’m not pointing out an obvious fix that you’ve already tried, but see this thread: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24095004/cant-load-package-package-no-buildable-go-source-files. Similarly it seems like Delve does not work without the program you want to debug being in the project source folder, which the launch.json file highlights (it’s obviously a pain having to change this whenever you want to debug). I’m a beginner with VSC and Delve but having played around with a few I agree that VSC is a very enjoyable and effective IDE for Golang. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Many thanks for following up on this Matthew. I haven’t tried debugging since I ran into the error back then, and when I tried again today, for some reason the error is gone and Delve runs just fine.

I wish I could tell why and how this issue resolved itself. I have done some upgrades of Go binaries lately (via Homebrew, binstale, and gobin) - maybe this did the trick. Anyway, the important part is that I don’t get an error anymore.

I Use LiteIDE, because it is lightweight, it is easy to build & run a project, it has auto import and “Jump do declaration”.

2 Likes

I use Emacs with this set of packages.

• go-mode
  • go-autocomplete
  • go-eldoc
  • go-guru
3 Likes

JetBrains’s Gogland turns out to be very good, recommend try out EAP.

Using Intellij IDEA Ultimate with Go plugin. Works as it is supposed to.
The dedicated IDE from JetBrains “Goland” has quite a few bugs every now and then.

I use Visual Studio Code - the debugger is fairly useful. Most of my (final yr ugrad Comp Sci) students use it - some use the command line and a few use Sublime Text.

The main problem with VSCode is that you can only have one executable source file per project - when students are learning, this is a pain - so we use an ‘old’ folder and drop old source files in there - github also works well…

1 Like

I started using atom when I first learnt Go, then migrated to the early access version of Gogland by JetBrains. I know find myself several months later on VSCode, and I think I am going to stay there.

I use vscode.

1 Like

Intellij IDEA + go plugin

Yep,this is one of the problems with VSCode. That Open folder it’s limited if you want to quick switch between many small projects used for example in a classroom. A more suitable solution for students is LiteIDE installed with gopei installer in classroom mode. LiteIDE allow you to switch projects and compile everywhere and classroom mode forgot any settings made by beginers because it’s annoying to reconfigure the IDE after eachone :wink:
You also have github integration and other nice tools

Gogland :wink:

… is the codename for a new commercial IDE by JetBrains

which is not released as a stable build and has no price tag attached so far. Maybe later when they tell us how many $$$ they want for it.

1 Like

I’m a student I use it for free. Also productivity ftw…

The usual trick: Cash 0 $ to get students hooked so they will make the company they work for later buy a commercial license for a price.

Yeeeah but I don’t think 100$ (or whatever) is a problem when they already
pay you 100k / year… Intellij is hell of an ide too…

2 Likes

I’ve been using Gogland now for a couple months and have really liked it. Since it’s pre-release it still has a couple bugs, but overall it’s a great IDE like the other JetBrains products. Definitely going to buy after it’s officially released.

JEdit + Midnite Commander + scripts. F2+g compiles, F2+G installs, F2+f formats F2+F formats with options … etc.

Hoping someone gets busy(ier) on NetBeans support for Go.

Visual Studio Code. Setup with Go plugin was so easy that I just fell in love. You format your code on save. Docs and everything is there. Debugging is on save, that strange but I can live with that. It’s quick and easy.

I really like VS Code. All you need is to set Go plugin and enjoy.