What editor plugins are you using for Go?

Continuing the discussion from The best dependency manager:

What editor (and what plugin) are you using for Go?

Vim with vim-go is really good and I used it for a long time, but I switched to Atom yesterday (temporary, I think) with go-plus. I love the extra functionality of those plugins (especially the inline coverage of go-plus), but it’s hard to get them to work with various dependency managers.

I’ve found a workaround to make gb, Godeps, and almost every dependency manager work with Atom, but I have no idea how to achieve that same goal with Vim (or other editors for that matter).

So what are you using? A package in your Editor (and if yes, which)? Or do you play the Editor + Terminal game?

Edit: We’ve been featured in Golang Weekly :tada:

5 Likes

I use vim + vim-go and going to stay with it. I started with Sublime + Go-Sublime but Sublime Text was getting slower everyday. So I learned basic VIM to use vim-go and it has been 3 months on that setup and I love it. I like to use editor for code changes and then terminal for running commands. So yeah, Editor + Terminal game for me :smile:

1 Like

Sadly born with age of Visual Studio and now am using Sublime Text, but do a little editing on server with VIM.

Tried Atom and its UI is really awesome but not as fast as Sublime Text.

3 Likes

Atom is really slow, but it has its upsides (for me).
I use it in vim mode, so I have all the good parts of Vim with all the good parts of Atom.

I started with vim but overtime it became a mess, tried sublime but I try to keep away from closed source.
For the moment I tend to live in liteide (I hope it doesn’t become abandonware) with the occasional use of atom.

Terminal vim w/ vim-go. Commented/annotated .vimrc is here: https://github.com/elithrar/dotfiles/blob/master/vimrc

1 Like

Emacs with flycheck and Magit.

https://go-talks.appspot.com/github.com/charles-haynes/emacs-go-talk/talk.slide

2 Likes

Ditto what Unknwon said - came from Visual Studio, using sublime now, with godef and the new golang_build package. Works great. I tried vim, but just couldn’t get past the the wonkiness of having to warn vim that I’m about to paste some text.

I’m using vim + vimgo, aswell as Sublime 3 and GoSublime from time to time

1 Like

Go plugin for IntelliJ w/ free IntelliJ Community Edition. Works great for me.

I also came from Visual Studio (C#), IntelliJ is the closest thing in Go world I am aware of.

6 Likes

I use the Go plugin for IntelliJ every day and love it! It has recently integrated the Delve package so now supports interactive debugging - though Windows is not supported yet.

3 Likes

vim in a terminal with vim-go. I use tmux and have some vim plugins that make navigating between vim splits and tmux panes seamless, I really like it.

1 Like

Atom + Go-plus… I was using Sublime but love the added features that Atom provides.

1 Like

Emacs with go-mode, company-go, go-eldoc, and flycheck.

1 Like

Bruno,

You prefer company to auto-complete? Can you say more why? I’m an old
time auto-complete user and I’ve been considering switching to company-mode.

Atom with go-plus in Vim mode. Best of both worlds imo.

2 Likes

I don’t think Windows support will happen until Delve itself gets it, which seems a bit far away yet. I’m hopeful, based solely on this pull request.

What are those plugins and what do they do exactly?

I have used vim for many years and really love it with the go-vim plugins but recently I have been experimenting with spacemacs. It’s a set of scripts that customize emacs and include evil mode to make it modal and respond like vi. The vi emulation is about as good as it gets, I don’t have to think about most things. It was a little bit of a learning curve to get used to some of the shortcuts ( it remaps all the C-xC-xA-x stuff to easier leader codes with pop-ups prompting you with the next options) but I think I am sold. Things just seem a little more optimized. Spacemacs is driven by making it simple to discover things so the help and suggestions code is really strong.

I am using Intellij Idea with Golang plugin.

2 Likes