Reg 0 slicing in int64

I totally get you, and I wasn’t at all referring to the posts concerning the new CoC (I don’t like the big brother idea either). Though I guess we live in pretty far realities and locations, and I do have some strong political opinions which may differ or come close to yours, I don’t like to get them involved in what I believe to be technical, i.e., a forum about the Go programming language and programming as a whole. I don’t get “a warm fuzzy feeling from being part of a global community” either, though I do kind of get it when contributing to open-source or things of the like. Actually, I’m a bit disappointed with all the comments surrounding the vgo approval I mentioned in the other topic (all those flames).

EDIT: I linked to the CoC comments on the other post, but the vgo ones are pretty much the same (he said this, she said that, and so on). At least the latter should (but sadly, isn’t) be strictly technical.

What I really enjoy is you taking the time to respond to my post in particular and to help in general with technical questions other people have. To summarize, I don’t care about or won’t judge what you think of a lot of things, but I do care and appreciate what you do about programming knowledge, how you contribute your share of it and how to spread it. If my earlier post wasn’t clear about it, sorry, my bad. I wanted to convey the idea that sharing knowledge and letting it out there for everyone is the best way to have our field advance, and that some bad experiences shouldn’t keep us from doing it.

Forgot to quote this: yeah, tell me about it, I’m southamerican (here they just call them plain evil).

Clarification: my original post was in response to the “help vampire” link, not your posts.

1 Like

80’s for me. There was no Internet. There were a few books and “figure it out for yourself”. I once spent two entire days working out how to network a pair of Windows 3.11 machines because nobody around me knew how to do it, and the network cards I had came with instructions only in Chinese.

The Internet is a wonderful source of resources, and communities of developers are great because we can share ideas and get help much more easily. However, I have little inclination to assist people that clearly have made no real effort to solve their own problem (that’s called learning), before asking for help. Poor quality questions often demonstrate such lack of effort.

Developers that actually want to learn are only doing themselves a disservice by cutting/pasting answers given in community forums, Stack Overflow, etc.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.