Proposed Code of Conduct for the Go project

I had sent him a suggestion about something else and also got a reply from him accepting it. It seems that they are listening to the community.

4 Likes

Between very diverse people or just people? Let’s face the very fact. The Go community worships rather than delivering good arguments – because those who had a legitimate argument had been silenced and left the community. There are emperors being applauded for wearing no clothes and good technical debates are being cut off by dismissive replies. I am sorry but this attitude is childish for an open source project in Go’s scale and far from being considered as good engineering.

I reckon everything rsc underlined at his keynote at GopherCon this year. We need to protect the community from any dismissive influential person so that new ideas can be tested and injected in Go. Go is big and has problems. If you deny this very fact, you don’t know much about Go.

My two cents.

7 Likes

Most of the top-voted Reddit comments were against any form of CoC - they didn’t even demonstrate that they looked at the proposal, much less make any specific criticisms or objections.

And yeah, Reddit is toxic.

1 Like

Most of the top-voted Reddit comments were against any form of CoC - they didn’t even demonstrate that they looked at the proposal, much less make any specific criticisms or objections.

We must not be reading the same thread. The one titled "The Go community is hostile towards a Go code of conduct so the Go team reacts by suppressing public discussion about it" had a lot of comments by people that at least glossed over it. One of the most highly rated comments pointed out the same clause that I did. Other people mocked other aspects of the proposal. The comments are definitely overwhelmingly negative, but there are definitely critics that have read it.

1 Like

Unfortunately nearly all comments in that thread are negative, whether directed at the CoC or otherwise.

Evan, I appreciate you reviewing the thread and pointing out specific areas to consider… not an easy task, given the sheer volume of redundant pessimism. Thank you! :relaxed:

Meh that should be standard. We are talking about imposing values on a diverse group of people in a work-like environment. It would be odd for the primary channel of anonymous feedback to simply go ignored. I don’t get the impression that Andrew is ignoring it though.

2 Likes

What has become clear to me over the last year or two is that the open source community contains a mob of angry men with poor social skills and plenty of time on their hands who see any attempt to impose community standards as a personal affront. I think they’re a relatively small mob — after all, thousands of open source projects seem to have adopted the Contributor Covenant — but they’re very noisy.

So any time the idea of a code of conduct is introduced through open discussion, the mob appears and the discussion becomes a massive pile of flames, trolling, and sealioning — the aim being to derail any attempt at any code of conduct by turning the whole process into a toxic tarpit. I believe that’s the “unnecessary noise” Andrew Gerrand refers to.

My guess is that carrying out initial discussion privately was intended as a way to sidestep the noise, and get some sort of initial code of conduct set. Once that happens, it should then be possible to have public discussion of the code of conduct — including discussion of whether it should be relaxed — without the tarpit. It’s basically to bootstrap the process.

10 Likes

Public discussion was held earlier, in the golang-nuts Google Group, before this forum was created:
golang-nuts › A Code of Conduct for the Go community

Most of the issues and concerns were identified then; and these were a basis for the proposed CoC.

I agree about the potential tar pit! :relaxed:

1 Like