Platform specific README.x files?

(Eric Lindblad) #1

This situation arose out of frustration of not having it overtly documented, e.g., in README.md, that $GOROOT/doc directory html files were intended to be served by godoc, and not directly browsable by an Internet browser.

Likewise was that the content of $GOROOT as compiled from source is different than what is inferred as $GOROOT, from the extracted/installed precompiled binary downloads, GNU/Linux is a multi-user OS, inherently a given coding language’s additonal modules/packages can be placed globally or locally, but the use of $GOPATH as a delimited list is also not at the forefront documented.

doc: code.html page assumes GOPATH is not a list #28905

So, my query to the forum members is what content would be favourable to be placed in top level files as README.linux, README.macosx, README.plan9, README.win32?

proposal: add $GOROOT/HACKING.md #29028 [Closed]

Noting the motivation for closing #29028, I would conclude this topic with the following.

To use a somewhat modified statement of a C++ coder from the 1990s, it can be argued that shoddy documentation is harmless as long as a proper solution is presented “later on.” However, that line of argument is at best “acceptable” rather than “good.” Ideally, a novice user isn’t presented with a coding language that brittle.

Factually, I don’t see any way around placing notes in several top level flat files.

(Jakob Borg) #2

It’s not clear to me what purpose or target audience you envision for these files.