New Course: Master Go – Go from Scratch for Developers

I hope it is ok to announce a paid product here.

Since almost a year (not counting all the preliminary work), I have been working on an online video course about learning Go that is now available. It is made for everyone who knows how to write code but knows little to nothing about Go yet.

I strived to make the lectures concise (no blah blah) yet detailed and complete. As a result, a typcial lecture is only 3-8 minutes long and contains animated diagrams and overlays to make all those abstract concepts that come with a programming language tangible and easier to digest.

This is what I think sets my course apart from other Go courses, but you can judge for yourself. Here is a link to the landing page that contains the curriculum with a few lectures available for preview. There is also a coupon code attached (it’s GO30OFF if you prefer to enter it manually at checkout) that gives you a 30% discount until Nov 30.

Thanks for reading that far :slight_smile: , and maybe I see you inside the course!

Best,
Christoph

6 Likes

@christophberger

Just had to say that this course looks absolutely brilliant! I watched a couple of previews and the quality of the audio and visuals is among the best I have ever seen. I loved the way you explained things! So clear that even a non developer like myself could understand. Even with the previews I got a couple of “A-Ha!” moments,

I’ll be trying to fund enrolment.

Best of luck!

Hi @kryten,

Thank you for this awesome feedback, this was very encouraging.

A word of caution (to anyone who reads this) might be advisable though - even though some of the lectures may appear clear enough even for non-programmers, the course as a whole assumes prior knowledge of a programming language (and also of basic things like using a shell, setting environment variables permanently, etc). Someone who never wrote any code before may find the course hard to follow.

(BTW, a student of mine said that Master Go was a good choice after having finished an introductory CS course (also online).)

@christophberger

I have to agree with @kryten. From the previews alone, I can see that you put a lot of work into it. The course looks perfect for some of my colleagues that are just beginning Go. I’ll be passing on the link to them.

I hope that you do well with it.

Cheers!

1 Like

@kpowick
I was able to enrol in this course and can confirm that the rest of the content is every bit as good, or better, than the preview content.

Some of the standout points for me about this training are:

• The lectures and fairly short concise and deal with a single specific principle. No muddling around with contrived examples. This makes the point in hand very easy to grasp.

• Christoph brings the relationships in the code samples to life with graphics and illustrations showing the relationships. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but for some reason, I’m finding that to be a very powerful and effective technique. Things are sticking much more.

• The additional documented material for each section is well written and useful for reference. It’s like having access to a reference book.

• I really enjoyed the lectures where Christoph was covering things I thought I knew well. I soon realised that I did not know it as well as I thought and have had several 'Ohh… I didn’t know that!" moments.

• The clarity of the video content and the explanations/narration is actually top notch - that’s compared to the best training I have found on Udemy, Pluralsight and LinkedIn Learning.

I hope Christoph makes many MANY more sections as I cannot recommend his course highly enough.

Thank you @kpowick, this is awesome. Ensure to send them also the coupon code and/or the link, to get the special offer. (It is still valid until Thursday.)

Hi @kryten,

Thanks for your generous review, it so great for me to know that you seem to enjoy the course.

The short, focused lectures were born out of my (mild) aversion against videos that take an hour or more and contain much “air”. A while ago, someone pointed me to rubytapas.com, a screencast series for Ruby. Each episode takes about five minutes, explaining the topic in a quite dense manner, and I felt that this is just the right size and speed that neither leaves the audience behind nor becomes boring.

There is also a story behind my passion for animated graphics. Many years ago, when Adobe Flash was popular, someone created a clickable, animated explanation of the AES Rijndael cipher. I was intrigued how something that is pure math can be explained so vividly that even a non-mathematician like I could understand it (well, “understand” in the sense of getting an inkling of what’s going on; I still don’t know the math behind it).

From that moment on I knew how enormously helpful animated visualizations can be. And I kept that in my mind until the time came when I decided to explain Go-related things to others (first through my blog, and now through the course.)

Today, Flash support is banned from current browsers (and rightly so), but I made a video from it while clicking through the steps.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.