Is this a Race Condition?

Just an hour ago, I was asked to create a race condition and solve it with a mutex.

I wrote the following code to depict a race condition :

func main() {
	var data int
	go func() {
		data++
	}()
	if data == 0 {
		fmt.Println("The value of data is", data)
	} else {
	}
}

And then I added the mutex to solve the race condition, as follows:

func main() {
	var data int
	var mu sync.Mutex
	go func() {
		mu.Lock()
		data++
		mu.Unlock()
	}()
	mu.Lock()
	if data == 0 {
	} else {
	}
	mu.Unlock()
}

The interviewer commented that the first code doesn’t depict a Race condition, correct me if I am wrong, but I think it does, can you help?

It is a data race indeed. You can confirm it by running the program with the -race flag.

2 Likes

I think Go is flagged the code as Race condition because you are accesing a global var from a goroutine. A race condition occurs when two threads access a shared variable at the same time -
If yu run your program without the race flag, it runs without problem. (the gourutine does not get chance to be executed)

1 Like

for you have a race condition, so, the data race you need to have 2 or more goroutines access the same variable concurrently and at least one of the accesses is a write operation, like this:

package main

var balance int 

func Deposit(amount int) { 
	balance = balance + amount 
} 

func Balance() int { 
	return balance 	
}

func main() {
	go Deposit(200)
	go Deposit(100)

}

to solve the problem

package bank

import "sync"

var (
    mu      sync.Mutex
    balance int
)

func Deposit(amount int) {
    mu.Lock()
    balance = balance + amount

mu.Unlock()
}

func Balance() int {
    mu.Lock()

defer mu.Unlock()

return balance
}

You have more examples on this repository: https://github.com/adonovan/gopl.io/tree/master/ch9
http://www.gopl.io/

1 Like

Thanks. For some reason, the interviewer thought that it is not a race condition.

Thanks, I learned a new flag because of you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually, this is what @MukulLatiyan’s code does. There are two threads of execution (the spawned-off goroutine and the main code thread, that can be considered a goroutine in this context), and one of them does a write operation.

Yes, this is true, I wanted to demonstrate another clearer example of this with more than one goroutine without being the main, and I also ran his code with -race and was accused of data race

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.