Goroutine spawning best practice

I’m wondering what is the best practice for spawning goroutine, whether to spawn at caller function or at callee function?

Spawning at caller function makes it explicit that it is background job/goroutine. But in some scenarios we need to spawn in callee function so to have better control over the goroutine (e.g., Channel/WaitGroup).

I want to know is there any guideline people follow to make this decision.

Example

type DataCollector struct {
}

func (d *DataCollector) Start() {
// alternatively goroutine can be spawned here
// go func() {
//   ...
// }
}

func main() {
  dataCollector := DataCollector{}
  go dataCollector.Start()
}
1 Like

that’s an excellent question. I think it depends on the behaviour of Start function and how it will be used. There’s a general rule - don’t use channels as long as you don’t have to.

I like the option described in the main function. If it’s only about making Start run concurrent, leave the decision to the caller. But…

If you want to make Start cancellable, then you should pass the context in it and handle it there.

func (d *DataCollector) Start(ctx context.Context) {
go func() { 
  doSomething(ctx)
  c <- struct{}
}()

select {
    case <-ctx.Done(): // cancelled
        return 
    case <-c:
        // everything went OK
    }
}

It depends on the logic you have in the function. It’s hard to answer generally the answer without the context. For example, if you want to fire collectors and not expecting them to finish shortly, just the approach in main(). If the Start has more logic and for example calls some IO’s, you should run those tasks in goroutines.

2 Likes

Another rule of thumb is to know how a goroutine will stop, before you start it. … Which is my problem.

I am building a database modeled after Pick, which supplies a programming language. Each user/session runs as a goroutine. The approach of a context would work, barring an expected long-running program that would exceed a general context expiration. Normally, you might pass through a SELECT statement to see if an administrator had sent you a termination request on your QUIT channel. But, if a program is stuck on an infinite loop (i.e. LABEL: GO TO LABEL) it would never return to a code section to perform the check.
At least here there is a workaround. You can only have an infinite loop if you jump backwards. A method invocation could do the same, but indirectly. So, at least you can limit the number of places/times you would need to check.
It has been an interesting trip so far.

Another way to approach this problem is to consider both testability and the single-responsibility principle. Robert C. Martin, aka Uncle Bob, recommends that concurrency-related code is kept separate/isolated. The following way is more in-line with that recommendation:

func main() {
  dataCollector := DataCollector{}
  go dataCollector.Start()
}

What we gain here is that we can test Start() independent of any synchronization primitives. Perhaps, testing concurrent code is very challenging. If you keep concurrency out of your business/application layer, your business/application code and tests become more readable, testable, and easily maintainable.

Hope that help :slight_smile:
cheers

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.