Game development in Go (or multimedia at all)

You’ve all redone so much boilerplate code.

I agree rendering is the thing that quickly diverge from one person to the other, audio, math, physics, steam, network, scripting embeding etc however, is the same everywhere. To some extend a lot of the rendering part is the same for everybody as well. Loading assets, storing data on the GPU, handling shaders.

@faiface: In case you haven’t noticed, I’m a real life jerk, and to add a bit of context, I also have my own engine called lux, a 3d defered rendering pipeline with a pure go physics engine, math for float32, vector/matrix lib and steam integration, all extensively tested.

@hydroflame Hey, that’s good, I don’t mind real life jerks, cause I’m kinda one of them too (not the biggest one, but anyway) :D. Btw, github.com/luxengine seems to be inaccessible, have you moved it somewhere else?

And sure, I don’t mind if we put our asses closer together and maybe contribute to each other’s engines, though I’m more concerned about my game at the moment and I definitely don’t mind you contributing to my library :). (Or anyone else.)

And thanks for the code quality compliments, though sdlinput.go and sdloutput.go are garbage IMO :D.

how’d you find the broken link ?

easy, google

weird, I can’t find it online. Yeah that was it but I moved it to a hidden location. Doesn’t matter. And no I won’t be contributing to anybody’s work. “everybody’s doing it so it’s ok to do it” :slight_smile:

I was just warning you, good luck you’re alone in this.

I’ve also dabbled with game dev using Go. I started my own game library https://github.com/telecoda/go-game but never completed it.

One of the challenges I found was the dependencies of other libraries required. Eg. SDL, OpenGL so the work involved into getting someone else to install and run your code would be a real barrier to adoption.

Now I am trying some development with Go Mobile, where the end product is a fully installed mobile app with no extra dependencies required.

If someone develops a “standard” 2d game library for go, something akin to py-game, I’m sure I’d adopt it rather than building something bespoke. Maybe a more community like effort is required to kick start something like this.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.